Sunday 24 February 2013

Growing A Whole New Person

So my idea, my illusive idea. I think the only way it's going to start to flow is to start with the character. Not any character. The character whom is the glue which will hold the story together. Like Carrie Bradshaw, Becky Bloomwood, Bilbo Baggins or even Harry Potter. Obviously, I don't honestly believe that any of my characters will become as well known as any of these, nor do; in anyway, plan on recreating any of these stories no matter how much I wish I had written any of those books.
 
So, my story... I have decided that as I can relate a lot easier without too much research involved, I will use a female lead. I want the story to be humorous without being unbelievable and silly so a witty undertone to a real life scenario is needed but firstly, I need a name. i have searched name websites and I love unusual and old fashioned names like Thea, Minnie, Bronte, Clementine but, i always think that with fashionable names, you think of children or hippies. Also, I have just finished reading Artistic Licence by Katie Fforde and her main character is Thea. One of my cats is Minnie, a friend of a friend is called Bronte and Clementine is just too childlike for my girl.
 
So, name websites. I searched Top Names In The 1980's  and as predicted, the names of girls I was at school with appeared in front of me. I then had a brainwave. If I searched for the meaning, maybe I could get a good character name which would fit well. the problem with this is that I have no clue what this person is going to be like.
 
Maybe, therefore, I should write her before she has a name. A little personality here, a quirk there, a flash of dyed hair and Allegra was born. I didn't end up needing to search any further as she just seemed to let me know who she was.
 
Now Miss has arrived on the scene; and she is most definitely a Miss rather than a Mrs, she will, I hope begin to guide me through the story.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment